My studies investigate the effects of social stereotypes on behaviors in the physical domain, with a particular focus on sex and aging stereotypes. They explore the extent to which differences in performance and physical activity according to sex and age may be socially constructed, beyond their physiological determinants. The identification of the mechanisms (motivational, cognitive, affective, physiological) through which stereotypes may be incorporated, and of the strategies that may limit their influence, is examined within different contemporary socio-cognitive models, and notably stereotype threat theory (Steele, 1997), stereotype embodiment theory (Levy, 2009), achievement goals theory (Elliot & Dweck, 2005), and regulatory fit theory (Higgins, 2000).
2014 - Present: Associate Professor, University Grenoble Alpes
2011 - 2014: Assistant Professor, Paris West University Nanterre La Défense
2008 - 2011: Assistant Professor, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis
2006 - 2007: Postdoctoral researcher, University of California, Santa Barbara (supported by a Marie Curie OIF fellowship)
2006: PhD: The influence of sex stereotypes on performance and motivation in sport and physical education (supervisors: Philippe Sarrazin and Jean-Claude Croizet), University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble
2005: Visiting scholar, University of Arizona
- Chalabaev, A., Major, B., Cury, F., & Sarrazin, P. (2009). Physiological markers of challenge and threat mediate the effects of performance-based goals on performance. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 991-994.
- Chalabaev, A., Radel, R., Masicampo, E. J., & Dru, V. (2016). Reducing stereotype threat with embodied triggers: A case of sensorimotor-mental congruence. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 42, 1063-1076
- Chalabaev, A., Sarrazin, P., Fontayne, P., Boiché, J., & Clément-Guillotin, C. (2013). The influence of sex stereotypes and gender roles on participation and performance in sport and exercise: Review and future directions. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14, 136-144.
- Emile, M., d'Arripe-Longueville, F., Cheval, B., Amato, M., & Chalabaev, A. (2015). An ego depletion account of aging stereotypes' effects on health-related variables. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological and Social Sciences, 70, 876-885.
- Chalabaev, A., Sarrazin, P., & Brisswalter, J. (2013). Heart rate and heart rate variability responses to stereotype activation among non-stereotyped individuals. In B. Derks, D., Scheepers, & N. Ellemers (Eds.), Neuroscience of Prejudice and Intergroup Relations (pp. 146-164). London, UK: Psychology Press.
- Stone, J., Chalabaev, A., & Harrison, C. K. (2012). Stereotype threat in sports. In M. Inzlicht & T. Schmader (Eds.), Stereotype Threat: Theory, Process, and Application (pp. 217-230). New York: Oxford University Press.
UFRAPS - Laboratoire Sport et Environnement Social
Université Joseph Fourier
38041 Grenoble cedex 9